Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Freewriting #3

One of the most memorable experiences in my life was getting an Army ROTC Scholarship. Before that, I had kind of lost hope because of my new found red/green color deficiency. This gave me the motivation I needed to get my life on the right track. I remember when I found out that I got the scholarship; it was the best day ever. I had just gotten home from a rough day at school, and came back and checked my email and the subject was “Congratulations….” From that moment on, I knew exactly what I wanted to do, and I knew that I had to be very successful in ROTC to get to where I wanted to be. I remember the summer before freshman year started, I had to go in and sign the contract and take the oath. I think my dad was really proud, even though he didn’t show it. I went in, signed the contract took the oath and swore in with an Army Major in front of an American Flag. At this time, the ROTC office was in a little trailer in between the old PE building and lot J. It was only my first time in there, and I had already signed a document that was going to dictate the next 8 years of my life. It was a great decision and now that I look back at the application process I realize how much of an impact it has made on my life. I wonder where I would be today sometimes if I had not gotten the discipline, confidence and leadership skills from ROTC. I know that no matter where my life takes me, I will always remember my time here in ROTC that all started one fateful day back in senior year of high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment